The Hermes – Gottlieb’s Bakery, located at 1601 Bull Street, is a Queen Anne style, two-story, wood frame building originally constructed in 1897 as a mixed-use building. Hansen Architects, along with our clients completed a full restoration of the late 1800s building.
The restoration work that was completed on the mixed-use structure included removing the exterior aluminum siding, replacing and repairing the wood siding on the main structure. After the circa 1950’s metal siding was removed on the North side of the building, the shape of the cantilevered porch was revealed helping to reinstate the 2nd story porch. Exterior storefront was restored to its original character. As the interior walls were being opened, original king studs and headers were located in order to accurately replace the windows and doors to their original location. The metal roof was scraped down to the raw material and refurbished according to the Secretary of Interior’s guidelines. All corbels, balusters, and trim boards were reproduced out of wood and made to match the original. On the interior spaces, 80% of the plaster was salvaged, heart pine floors were refinished, and the tin metal ceiling was restored.
Constructed in 1897
Originally built as a bakery
Queene Anne Style architecture